[ih] Origin of the loopback interface

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Mon Oct 23 13:02:15 PDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 12:42:29PM -0700, Joe Touch wrote:
> The fundamental problem is that ip networking doesn???t see far enough into the os to be sufficient as the sole IPC mechanism. There arren???t enough demuxing identifiers.
>
> It would preclude having a multiprocess stack too. You can???t coordinate components to process Ip using ip.

Routing based on ever longer prefixes could IMHO equally be expanded inside of
nodes to create more hierarchy as needed.

> The problem with loop back is the assumption of locality, which is false without additional filters. Ipc typicallly defaults to local only until extended, which naps better to expectations.

I think there is only an assumption of locality on loopback addresses,
not interfaces. Which can be broken of course, but so can locality
expectations of other mechanisms. Unless one would even start to
define the exact behacvior of specific interfaces, yo could never make
an assumption of behavior using some type of interface (across different
implementations).

Toerless

--
---