[ih] Origin of the loopback interface

Paul Vixie paul at redbarn.org
Sun Oct 22 03:19:50 PDT 2017

Brian Carpenter wrote:
>>  We could have another little chat about the loopback address in IP. I reached
>>  the conclusion last night that it was never really necessary. All the TCP/IP
>>  stacks that I know will happily send a message to any of their own assigned
>>  addresses, without putting it on the wire. So having a dedicated address for
>>  loopback tests seems useless today.

it's nowhere near useless. i use a some virtual machines that aren't on
any network except their loopback. grateful am i that i can use IP
sockets to talk to my own services in that case, rather than having to
teach all my tooling, and the operating system's tools, to use UNIX
domain sockets.

even when i have interfaces, they change their addresses, either due to
DHCP, or mobility, or migration. grateful am i, again, that most(*) of
my tools don't have to be able to reconnect their sockets when this
happens. i realize that INADDR_ANY was crafted to solve that problem,
but modern systems run different servers on the same port number, using
interface address to disambiguate.

multihoming is one of the great unsolved problems in internetworking. we
do it properly on routers -- there, the loopback has the router's "real"
ip address -- but only because the router is on-path and can inject its
loopback address (which usually is not subnetted) into the topology.

(*) name, file, and time servers have to know what interface they were
contacted on, and answer from that interface, so they have to
periodically rescan the interface list -- but nothing else does.

--
P Vixie