[ih] Origin of the loopback interface

Dave Walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 05:09:45 PDT 2017

Search for "loop test" at
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/686811.pdf , an early (the
earliest?) BBN ARPANET IMP development report to ARPA.

Bob Kahn was our modem expert and knew what the (Bell 303?) modem could
do.  See
    http://www.walden-family.com/impcode/bbn-report-1877.pdf
and search for "loop test".   While this is a 1973 revision of the
report, I believe this description was in the original version of the
report in 1969. My further memory is that such testing could be done
remotely under software control.