[ih] another Internet history site

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sat Nov 11 11:02:37 PST 2017

that is good news - but the reasoning applied by the court is very
disappointing. The conclusion is based on inability to prove or disprove
statements the plaintiff considered defamatory. At no point does the court
get to the heart of the matter: that the plaintiff did not invent email as
we know it - only that he wrote a program in 1978 that he called "email".
Somehow, I wish that the historical facts associated with electronic mail
as most of us know it could have been applied to undo the plaintiffs
repeated and, in my opinion, misleading assertions. Particularly egregious
is the conflating of copyright with patent and "first to invent" concept.
Incidentally, current patent law has the unfortunate provision that patents
now go to "first to file" and not "first to invent" although the "prior
art" argument presumably can derail an inappropriate patent claim.

bleep.

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 12:51 PM, Łukasz Bromirski <lukasz at bromirski.net>
wrote:

> On 11 Nov 2017, at 16:25, Dave Crocker <dhc2 at dcrocker.net> wrote:
>
> An ambitious site:
>
>      www.internet-history.info
>
> with some problematic content:
>
>      Who invented email?  Why it matters.
>
> http://www.internet-history.info/media-library/mediaitem/
> 2624-who-invented-email-why-it-matters.html
>

> This troll, at least for a moment, was stopped:
> https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20170906/13431338159/
> case-dismissed-judge-throws-out-shiva-ayyadurais-
> defamation-lawsuit-against-techdirt.shtml
>
>> Łukasz Bromirski
>
> _______
> internet-history mailing list
> internet-history at postel.org