[ih] Fwd: Charlie Bachman Memorial Service is July 23 - Please share

Andrew Russell arussell at arussell.org
Tue Jul 18 06:04:33 PDT 2017

All -

I’m writing to share the sad news that Charlie Bachman has passed away.  Bachman won the Turing Award in 1973 and was best known for his work on databases, although he also made major contributions to network architecture (including as the prime mover behind OSI’s 7-layer model).

Obituaries have been published by the NY Times and Washington Post (links below).  Information about a memorial service and donations also is below.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/16/technology/charles-w-bachman-dies.html <https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/16/technology/charles-w-bachman-dies.html>
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/charles-bachman-engineer-who-devised-a-better-way-to-manage-data-dies-at-92/2017/07/16/8eb8ebde-6a36-11e7-96ab-5f38140b38cc_story.html <https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/charles-bachman-engineer-who-devised-a-better-way-to-manage-data-dies-at-92/2017/07/16/8eb8ebde-6a36-11e7-96ab-5f38140b38cc_story.html>

Best regards,

Andy