[ih] PDP11 ARPANET interfaces (was: Arpanet line speed)

Stephen Casner casner at acm.org
Wed Jan 18 16:02:04 PST 2017

I corroborate Jack's description.  The IMP11a was DEC's implementation
of an interface for a PDP11 to connect to the ARPANET IMP.  Two
predecessor PDP11 interfaces were the ANTS interface from the
University of Illinois and a variant of that design made at USC
Information Sciences Institute.  My first task when I joined ISI in
1973 was to write diagnostic software for it.  All three interfaces
were provided DMA transfer into and out of memory via the UNIBUS.  The
only function you might call processing was an option to swap bytes
going into or out of the 16-bit words of PDP11 memory (since the PDP11
was a little-endian inhabiting a landscape which at that time
consisted of mostly big-endians)

The ISI PDP11 ARPANET Interface is featured in action in the opening
scene of the digital voice converencing movie we made in 1978.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGat1jRQ_SM

                                                        -- Steve