[ih] Arpanet line speed

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Jan 18 11:46:01 PST 2017

For the historians - what those expensive "high-speed" lines actually
looked like...

I was one of the setup crew at the ICCC '72 demonstration of the ARPANET
in the ballroom of the Washington Hilton.  We had laid a false floor to
cover all the wiring between a gaggle of terminals and the TIP, put
various terminals, printers, and of course the TIP right in the middle
of the room, and were awaiting the Telco guy to come with The Line.

I expected some kind of impressive cable with esoteric connector, as
would befit the rare not-so-ordinary phone line.

When the phone guy arrived, he dragged over a ratty looking pile of thin
cable from the wall of the ballroom, and stretched it out to reach the
IMP.  It looked like what you might use to hook up your doorbell.  Or an
extension phone in your house.  Just a couple of small wires to hook up,
IIRC.  Probably the ones they had used for the last umpteen meetings in
that room where they wanted a phone.

Since it wasn't very impressive, we hid it under the false floor, duct
tape, etc. and hoped nobody would trip over it.

I remember being amazed that you could possibly get 50+ kilobits/second
over such wiring.  Of course I'm even more amazed at the gigabit/second
flowing over the tiny Ethernet wires attached to my desktop today.

/Jack