[ih] IEN's as txt

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Fri Feb 10 11:21:11 PST 2017

I think there's a difference between tracking specifications and
tracking implementations.  It will be interesting to see how your
analysis of old code actually compares to the specs.

One of the beauties of the TCP/IP design is that the specifications did
not overspecify. They essentially defined what the formats and protocols
had to be "on the wire" so that different implementations could
communicate.  But there were a lot of design decisions still to be made
by each implementer or system builder.

For example, one TCP implementation might be oriented toward an
environment where bulk traffic was dominant (FTP).  That implementation
would strive to send "full" datagrams to minimize the overhead of the
TCP/IP headers.  Another implementation might be oriented toward
interactive traffic (Telnet), and strive to get the user data out onto
the wire immediately, since the user might be expecting the computer on
the other end to respond (echo a character, move a cursor, whatever).
Another might be oriented toward voice, another for situations involving
satellite paths, etc., etc.

There were lots of such decisions - how and when and what to retransmit,
what to do when you get back a Source Quench, what to do with different
settings of the header bits (e.g., TOS), etc. etc.  None of these were
specified in the docs.  The packet formats, state machine, and related
mechanisms were specified, but other things, like the user-interface
functionality, were included as examples.

That meant that, even when the specifications were "finalized" there was
still considerable work to be done and decisions to be made about how to
design a specific implementation.  Some of that subsequent work became
more formal as an RFC/IEN (e.g., Van Jacobson's work on retransmission
algorithms.)

As you look at actual implementations, it would be interesting to see
how those kinds of non-mandatory design decisions evolved over the last
30+ years.  I must admit I haven't followed the 1000s of RFCs which
probably capture a lot of the evolution of the protocols and algorithms.

It would also be interesting to see how well implementations actually
followed the specifications and the "recommended practices" that came
with experience.   TCP/IP is so forgiving about many things and a TCP/IP
implementation may "work" even if it's doing lots of things "wrong".

I worked with a TCP in the 1990s that had subpar performance and after a
few hours doing tcpdump analyses I had the pleasure of informing the
computer manufacturer that their TCP had a bug such that only
retransmitted segments would be accepted.  All first-time segments  were
incorrectly dropped as having bad checksums.  Just a bug.  But it
"worked" and was production quality...and in the released product.

A different computer's TCP had the characteristic that, after a glitch
of some kind in the network, it would settle down and traffic flows
would again stabilize on that connection.  As it should.  But tcpdump
revealed that after the glitch, the new stable state had every packet
being sent twice.  The retransmission timer had dropped just below the
round-trip delay.  But everything worked, and nobody complained.  We
only noticed because it was travelling over a very expensive
trans-Pacific circuit and we were watching utilization on that circuit
closely.

I'm not sure if the manufacturers ever fixed either of these behaviors.

As you examine old Unix code, you may unearth interesting artifacts.
For example, one of the Unix implementations (BSD IIRC) decided to put
the IP headers at the *back* of the packet.  This made things easier for
them inside the OS with buffer management.  They had some means to do
this only when communicating with another host running the same OS.  It
worked well for a collection of workstations and servers on a LAN.  But
we (BBN Network Op Center) noticed because one day all sorts of alarms
went off when the "core" gateways started getting streams of "bad
checksum" errors, because those weird Unix packets escaped the LAN and
the gateways didn't know that the IP header would be at the end of the
packet instead of the front.

One of the things I've noticed about RFCs and IENs is that they tend to
assume that the specification and the implementation are equivalent.
Not necessarily true...

HTH,
/Jack