[ih] IEN's as txt

Paul Ruizendaal pnr at planet.nl
Thu Feb 9 16:02:17 PST 2017

Bob,

I did push IEN81 through an OCR tool with much the same result.
Many thanks for the offer though!

I won't have time for the manual patch up job until later in the
year.

---

All,

My underlying motive for this is to understand the changes to
TCP (and IP/ICMP/UDP) in the 1978-1981 time frame, and diff's
of the IEN's and RFC's would help. Perhaps this analysis has
already been done?

One thing that surprised me is that the closing mechanics in the
TCP state diagram kept changing until very late. Perhaps it
was just a matter of ever more precise specification, but if it
was conceptual change it would seem odd that it did not show up
earlier in the testing process and 'bake offs'.

Same goes for ICMP: it was a late arrival and the rationale for
abandoning the earlier approach is not entirely clear.

Paul