[ih] "How Gopher Nearly Won the Internet" Re: The Rise and Fall of the Gopher Protocol

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Sep 8 14:11:07 PDT 2016

Yes, that might explain why there was a CGI at all; perhaps it was
necessary in Tim's original vision as a means to make changes to
documents, and then NCSA saw a way to use that CGI for accessing
supercomputer data and created a browser to do it?  All speculation on
my part; it would be good to hear from more of the people who were
directly involved about what, and why, they did what they did...

IMHO, the History of The Internet is full of situations where a piece of
technology was developed with one use in mind, and then adapted by
someone else to use in a very different way.

The Internet was built by McGyvers, rather than by committees with piles
of documents.

/Jack