[ih] "How Gopher Nearly Won the Internet" Re: The Rise and Fall of the Gopher Protocol

Joly MacFie joly at punkcast.com
Thu Sep 8 10:53:22 PDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Dave Crocker <dhc2 at dcrocker.net> wrote:

> The late 80s saw a variety of efforts to create basic search mechanisms,
> as well as better document-publishing mechanisms.  (For some reasons,
> average users found anonymous ftp to be cumbersome and inadequate.  No
> idea why...)

​What I noticed, coming as I do from the punk rock side of things, was that
anonymous ftp was winning as far as music went in the late 90s, up until
the advent of napster etc.

While the record labels struggled with cumbersome front-ends and restricted
content, fan-based ftp sites for certain artists, Bjork and Prodigy come to
mind, that contained every known remix, live session, gave these artists
great leads in engagement and exposure, reflected in wider chart success.

Joly MacFie  218 565 9365 Skype:punkcast