[ih] "How Gopher Nearly Won the Internet" Re: The Rise and Fall of the Gopher Protocol

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Thu Sep 8 05:13:24 PDT 2016

There were graphical Gopher browsers, and for a long time Mosaic
supported Gopher (maybe WAIS too).  Maybe Mozilla still does.

Back in my Center for Civic Networking days, we published a lot of our
early materials on gopher, and then had a long period of overlap when we
published on both gopher and http.  When we did public access in the
Cambridge Public Library, we had Mosaic fronting both gopher & web sources.

On the other hand - I'm convinced that, if it weren't for Mosaic and the
NCSA daemon, something would have come along to replace the web.

Miles

On 9/8/16 6:19 AM, John Day wrote:
> [...]
>> by calling some back-end program in the server, and even supplying
>> arguments to the call.   This meant that a "document" could also be
>> created on-the-fly by a clever program -- a perfect match to how
>> databases worked.
>>
>> Of course the "forms" interface also meant that the user could become an
>> active participant in a session, with the ability not only to read data
>> presented from a server as documents, but also the ability to input data
>> and control the servers' actions.
>>
>> As far as I remember, there was no such capability with Gopher or WAIS,
>> or maybe I just hadn't found it there.
>>
>> In any event, these features meant that the Web, instead of just being a
>> clever way to organize and find documents, was also a new GUI (Graphical
>> User Interface) to interface to all sorts of database-backed
>> applications: order entry, billing, inventory control, etc., etc., etc.
>>   This was, to a database denizen, far more interesting than just the
>> ability to find previously prepared documents.
>>
>> So, we built an interface between a web server and a database server,
>> and did *lots* of training to show anyone who would listen how to use
>> this new technology.  Most of the action at first was on customers'
>> intranets, so you probably didn't see it on the public Internet until
>> they got comfortable enough to put web servers online for their
>> customers, suppliers, etc. to use.
>>
>> Oracle had a pretty broad reach even in the 1990s.  We joined W3C
>> immediately to have some influence on the technology.  I don't think
>> there was much interaction with the traditional Internet crowd (IETF
>> etc.) since they were focused on the lower layers.
>>
>> Lots of trade shows, users' groups, and other venues in the database
>> universe got the word out.  I recall giving lots and lots of talks/demos
>> to various customer groups and it was pleasing to see the "light bulbs
>> go on" as they understood what they could do with this new technology in
>> their *existing* business systems.
>>
>> Nobody ever even mentioned Gopher...
>>
>> The rest as they say is history...   I have no idea how much this
>> activity affected Gopher's fate, or the Web's.  Some historian may
>> figure that out someday.
>>
>> But it was a lot of fun...
>>
>> Hope some historian finds this useful,
>> /Jack Haverty

>>> Nice try.
>>>
>>> Gopher was pretty cool for the early 1990s, but even if it hadn't had
>>> a self-inflicted fatal wound when U of Minn wanted license fees, the
>>> web would have won anyway.
>>>
>>> When I wrote Internet for Dummies in 1993, I had roughly equal sized
>>> chapters on Gopher, WWW, and WAIS.  At the time I thought WAIS was the
>>> future, because full text search was so powerful.
>>>
>>> I was right about search being powerful (see Google) but what I didn't
>>> realize was that the web was general enough that it would absorb the
>>> links from Gopher, the search from WAIS, the software archives from

>>> John
>>> _______
>>> internet-history mailing list
>>> internet-history at postel.org