[ih] "How Gopher Nearly Won the Internet" Re: The Rise and Fall of the Gopher Protocol

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Sep 8 03:17:30 PDT 2016

It is reasonably clear that there are roughly 6 operations that can be performed remotely: create/delete, read/write, and start/stop.  Hence, one could get by with one application protocol using different “object models.” IOW, what is different about application protocols are the models they are applied to more than the protocol itself.

Was the advantage of the web (and I think it probably was) that it was more easily adapted to that than Gopher and WAIS?  Were the object models too deeply embedded in the protocols to make them easily adaptable?  Or was it that someone wrote a browser for the web, rather than Gopher or WAIS?

(I am guessing that it was, and also to Jack’s point in the other email that the web worked at a finer granularity than Gopher.)

Take care,
John