[ih] "How Gopher Nearly Won the Internet" Re: The Rise and Fall of the Gopher Protocol

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 15:01:10 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 2:21 PM, Joly MacFie <joly at punkcast.com> wrote:

> The Rise and Fall of the Gopher Protocol
> By Tim Gihring
> Aug 11 2016
> <https://www.minnpost.com/business/2016/08/rise-and-fall-gopher-protocol>

​I was alerted to another article on same topic, in Chronicle of Higher
Ed(ucation)​ -

How Gopher Nearly Won the Internet
By Scott Carlson  / September 05, 2016
Premium content for subscribers. Subscribe Today
http://www.chronicle.com/article/How-Gopher-Nearly-Won-the/237682

​paywall evasion via DuckDuckGo
http://www.chronicle.com/article/How-Gopher-Nearly-Won-the/237682/?key=QlhJoKFWcO5rwD0jbeGuGHG0quJwz0-qB-sKn4sAIVw5FxVZ4xiftQodV_XioTqbS1oteTk0dk85RFZCYUtOOGsxSTZMaXZVdHo2Z3RRZkVUTGZqZkdUNGc4bw
​

​Provocative quote in big letters:  “If it weren't for Gopher, the web
probably would have died.” ​

​Interesting Photo captions:
"'We were a skunk-works project.' says Mark McCahill, who helped develop
Gopher at the U. of Minnesota."
"​The Gopher team posed for an alumni-magazine spread in 1994. By the end
of that year, Gopher's internet dominance was over. Clockwise from left:
Farad Anklesaria, David Johnson, Paul Lindner, Mark McCahill, and Bob
Alberti."
​"Mark McCahill, now at Duke U., [...] Looking at Gopher recently reminded
him of what the internet used to be like, he said, 'when there wasn't an ad
on everything you went to.'" ​

[ ​I see the Chronicle has uncritically accepted AP's dictum of lowercase
Internet. Humbug. ]​

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com