[ih] First Eurociscos [was Ethernet, was Why TCP]

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sat Sep 3 13:16:09 PDT 2016

On 09/03/2016 12:13 PM, John Day wrote:
> No reason either one should have been on the Internet in the 1980s. Neither one was a DoD contractor or had grant money from DoD.

In the 1980s there were several European organizations on the Internet
who (as I understood at the time) were part of joint international
projects.  E.g., I remember UCL (London), RSRE (somewhere in the UK
Cotswolds), NDRE (Norway), and DFVLR (Germany), all of which hosted
Internet meetings during that era.

IIRC, these organizations were all somehow associated with their related
governments who had some kind of MOU in place with the US for joint
research.   I suspect you'd have to find those ancient MOUs to see what
the restrictions were on who could be online from where, and who was
funding what.  Even if they didn't have direct US DoD funds, a European
organization involved in a project might have been funded by a European
government arm, which in turn was working with the US, and would have
authority to be on the Internet.

Our focus at the time was on just getting transatlantic Internet to
work.  It would be interesting to see a historical account of what those
organizations were doing, why they had joined in to the Internet
research, and how they fared in the ITU/CCITT/ISO presence in Europe.

At least some of the work was US DoD funded, e.g., in Norway:

www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf&AD=AD0691010

It would be fascinating to see a comprehensive list of who was doing
what back then on the early Internet.

I think it's important for historians to remember that the early 1980s,
when much of the basic machinery of the Internet was created, was also
the time of the Cold War, Star Wars (aka Strategic Defense Initiative),
and a plethora of related projects.  IMHO, most of the funding for The
Internet in those early days came from military needs and desires, and
had nothing to do with building a world-wide communications system for
the entire population.

The serendipitous adoption of the technology to create the Internet we
know today was enabled by that landmark decision that Vint and Bob made
to make the technology open.  Otherwise we might still be struggling
with dozens of incompatible and competing walled gardens....

/Jack