[ih] First Eurociscos [was Ethernet, was Why TCP]

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 00:56:20 PDT 2016

On 03/09/2016 12:08, Dave Crocker wrote:
> On 9/2/2016 4:24 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> 2. That's the sort of minor detail in Ben's account that I take issue with. (As for
>> why CERN had an OSI policy until about 1989, I covered that in my book.) However,
>> Ben might be right that this was the first *civilian* deployment in Europe.
>> CERN was often an early adopter.
>

> I assume that ISO would not count as civilian?
>
> They are one of my solid European customers in the latter 1980s, so I
> assume they had a router product (but not from me).

There were quite a few Proteons about, but although I may well have known at
the time, I've no idea what ISO had. I suppose they were mainly an X.400/X.25 shop
at that time? (To my knowledge, the ITU's first contact with the Internet was when
CERN gave Guy Girardet an email account in 1991, so I'm sure they had no IP in the
1980's.)

Rgds
   Brian