[ih] Early Unix networking

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Mon Oct 10 10:26:36 PDT 2016

On 10/10/2016 7:45 AM, Paul Ruizendaal wrote:
> For introduction: I'm a retro-computing hobbyist who's interested in the origins of networking in Unix (other than uucp).

Paul,

Your summary reads well.  And it defines a concrete and (IMO) entirely
reasonable scope for what you probably mean with the above statement of
intent.

However you might be interested in a slightly broader scope.

I suggest you consider email-based unix network access.  Although a much
more constrained channel than a packet-level interface, this was a
legitimate means of gaining Arpanet (and then Internet) access for a
number of years, and greatly expanded the community of participants.[1]

To the extent you are interested in exploring this, then you'd have to
include uucp, but also CSNet's Phonenet [2],[3].

d/

[1] To Be "On" the Internet; RFC 1775

[2] HISTORY AND OVERVIEW OF CSNET;
https://www.internetsociety.org/sites/default/files/pdf/Comm83.pdf