[ih] Early Unix networking

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Mon Oct 10 09:33:04 PDT 2016

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016, Paul Ruizendaal wrote:

> source code (see http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl). However, in
> that archive networking appears as a big blob in 4.1c BSD and I am
> trying to dig beyond that and figure out how the code developed.

I have slowly been authoring a book about this from the Berkeley Unix
perspective. I started over six years ago and have done interviews with
over 80 participants in the BSD story.

> => does anybody know of a preserved good copy of the 4.1a distribution
> tape?

It is included in the CSRG set (disk 1).
https://www.mckusick.com/csrg/
(Now available in some git and subversion repos online too.)
But it doesn't include the sys nor IP networking code, so doesn't help
much.

Nevertheless the disk1's 4.1c.1 code does have SCCS files for the sys
networking code from October 1981 and later. See sys/netinet/SCCS/ and
sys/vaxif/SCCS/s.if_en.c for example. (Again note these SCCS files is
separate from the disk4 sccs code. I didn't look recently but I recall
some of this history and some of the files in the SCCS files is
different from the disk4.)

The SCCS history references ../bbnnet/ code. I thknk the files were just
renamed, for example ../bbnnet/fsm.h is tcp_fsm.h (which does have SCCS
history in late October 1981).

So I think using SCCS and renaming files you can reconstruct the
original VAX implementation from Gurwitz.

The CSRG SCCS archives (disk4) for sys/deprecated/bbnnet/SCCS/ appears
to be later code but may be a good reference too.

Another awesome resource for you are some of the Combined Quarterly
Technical Reports from BBN. They discuss what was proposed and what was
delivered. The ones I used were:
#19 for aug. 1 1980 to Oct. 31, 1980
#20 for nov 1, 1980 to jan 31, 1981
#23 aug 1 - 10/31 1981 (says "At this writing (early December)"
			and stamped dec. 22 1981)
#24 for nov. 1, 1981 to jan 31,1982
#27 for august 1 - october 31, 1982

$ grep ^@ /home/reed/book//bsd-history/svn-bsd-history/book.bib
     234
(my list of citations in the book)

$ grep -i CITE: /home/reed/book/bsd-history/svn-bsd-history/*tex | sort -u | wc -l
     233
(my citations left to add to my bibliography, so I have hundreds of
sources.)