[ih] bytes [Re: "network unix"]

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sun Oct 9 14:11:53 PDT 2016

I also remember "octet" being used in those days.  Since "byte" was so
imprecise, "octet" was used to mean "8-bit byte".

That may seem to have solved the problem.  But, like atoms, octets were
not the most primitive element of computing (and networking).

Any contemporary history buff who is curious about the computing
environment in those early days as networking was being created -- I
highly recommend Danny Cohen's writeup " ON HOLY WARS AND A PLEA FOR
PEACE" in IEN 137 ( https://www.ietf.org/rfc/ien/ien137.txt )

How many bits were in a byte was just the tip of the iceberg annoying us
who were trying to get computers to talk with each other back then.  It
may seem obvious now that most computer makers have disappeared and
computing is rather uniform; it wasn't then...

/Jack