[ih] TWX and Telex, was Obscure e-mail systems

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Mar 17 22:12:50 PDT 2016

On 3/17/2016 7:23 PM, John Levine wrote:
> I did all of my telexing through the gateway from MCI Mail, which gave
> every MCI Mail account a telex number.  It worked pretty well, give or
> take problems persuading correspondents who knew that all US telex
> numbers were 6 digits that your number really did have 10 digits.

The MCI Mail system was linked through a store-and-forward telex gateway
at its subsidiary, Western Union International.  The effort to make that
gateway work was surprisingly more effort than I (we) expected.

And yeah, the only way we could interface all 125K+ MCI Mail accounts
into the system was by going to the much larger telex number, though
that meant some places out there couldn't handle it.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking