[ih] Obscure e-mail systems

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Wed Mar 16 16:46:08 PDT 2016

>> Seems a bit crufty.  I've been tunneling imap and submit through ssh
>> on port 443 for years.  Works great.
>
> No doubt. But I've been using suucp for well(!) over a decade. Why change what works?

Ooh, let's play mine's older and cruftier than yours!  I set up my port
443 ssh server in January 2005 when I was doing a project at a lawyer's
office that blocked port 22.  My mailbox is on my server, so UUCP-ing it
back and forth to another mailbox on my laptop and trying to keep them in
sync wouldn't be fun.

I certainly used UUCP for a long time -- back in the 1980s I was using it
for mail and news, calling a friendly system near my home in Cambridge MA.
We spent one summer at our beach house at the Jersey Shore. Carefully
scrutinizing the uucp maps and the list of local exchanges in the phone
book, I discovered that there was a usenet node at the FAA test center in
Pomona NJ which due to a quirk of telegeography was a local call even
though it was over 30 miles away.  So they kindly gave me a connection for
the summer, and I only had to make short calls back to MA for my mail.

These days it's all Comcast.  Sigh.

R's,
John