[ih] The Atlantic on Email

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 08:57:06 PDT 2016

My take on the NRS vs DNS naming controversy -- which as you all said
really heated around in 1990 when the application for *.cs* came into the
NIC -- stemmed in part from the fact that the JNT/JANET people in the UK
were staunchly committed to OSI and refused to make any sweeping changes to
their naming and addressing system until a viable x.400 product was in
place. In other words, they were holding out for what they thought would be
the world standard. This seemed to piss a lot of people off. There are some
fiery and frankly hilarious emails from that period, especially on
Namedroppers.

It's also worth noting that the JNT had some financial troubles around that
time, and in previous years had even threatened to sue the administrators
of the at Salford for abruptly stopping development of the NRS.

I'm wondering, Johan, when exactly you started to see these mail routing
problems (before 1990, for sure, but for how long after)? I believe that in
1990 there were 10 UUCP sites in Czechoslovakia.

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Johan Helsingius <julf at julf.com> wrote:

> > there was also the little problem of inverting the UK domain
> > names from uk.ac.ucl.cs to cs.ucl.ac.uk
>
> Yes, we at EUnet actually had a node in Czechoslovakia, using the
> short-lived .cs ccTLD. We had some mail routing issues between
> them and our UK node at UKC...
>
>      Julf  (used to be mcvax!penet!julf)
>

> _______
> internet-history mailing list