[ih] Ingrid Burrington on North Virginia

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Mon Jan 11 13:11:38 PST 2016

[ warning: measurement research digression ]

>> Back in the 80s when the Internet was young, we didn't have the
>> capability to take such measurements with any confidence of accuracy
>> or completeness.  When did that change.....?
> https://atlas.ripe.net/

i am not aware of any research effort using atlas or atlas style
technology which measures traffic as opposed to topology, reachability,
and content.

folk such as renesys (their dyn incarnation is less sinful) repeatedly
misused the word 'traffic' when, in fact, all they were measuring was
bgp.  we should not repeat that mistake when using technology such as
atlas probes.

[inter provider] traffic measurement at scale is a researcher unicorn.

randy