[ih] Ingrid Burrington on North Virginia

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Mon Jan 11 12:38:46 PST 2016

Johan Helsingius writes:
> I am not sure I agree with his definition. To me, "Internet" traffic, as
> opposed to local LAN traffic, has to cross between networks - so to
> be really strict, between AS's.

My phone is in my carrier's AS and my laptop is in my employer's/home ISP's
AS -- and they also communicate directly with each other...

I think there's a desire here to measure something that is not well defined.
(What is well-defined is how much data flows across a cut point -- e.g.
sometimes in the Internet's life it has been useful to ask how much
traffic crossed the Missippippi river as that bisects most of the US).

Craig