[ih] How the Soviet Union Sent Its First Man to the Internet

Dmitry Burkov dburk at burkov.aha.ru
Sat Jan 2 03:49:38 PST 2016

> On Jan 2, 2016, at 1:51 PM, Johan Helsingius <julf at julf.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, Ian,
>
>> I am not sure - but it connected via Nordnet in Sweden (at that stage it
>> might have been PNS Sweden)
>
> Nordnet or nordUnet? If the latter, wouldn't they have connected
> through the Finnish part of Nordunet (FUNET) rather than SUNET?

No - it was connection to KTH.

All terrestrial digital connections used microwave system between Tallinn and  Helsinki.
I mentioned previously that we (Relcom) used this system for 64K to your premises later in 1992.

The problem was that there were no other digital lines from Tallinn to the East. Nordunet(KTH) also had very strict policy.

Jaak Lipmaa can tell the whole story.

Dima