[ih] qdcount

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Thu Feb 11 18:41:42 PST 2016

On 2/11/2016 13:29, John Kristoff wrote:
> The DNS specs refer to the QDCOUNT, ANCOUNT, NSCOUNT and ARCOUNT fields
> in the DNS header.  I've always assumed ANCOUNT = ANswer COUNT, NSCOUNT
> = Name Server(s) COUNT, ARCOUNT = Additional Record(s) COUNT and QDCOUNT
> = Query COUNT, but what does the 'D' stand for, if anything?  Data?
> Domain(s)?

Did a little Binging about and discovered that the question has been
asked, but not answered in a satisfying* way.

Makes you wonder if there is an insider'a cruel joke involved.

This was BOTL, in my opinion:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32031349/what-does-qd-stand-for-in-dns-rfc1035

*a "satisfying answer" is different (or might be) from a "satisfactory
answer".
--
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)