[ih] Significant milestones in the history of TCP/IP

Alex McKenzie amckenzie3 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 16 06:12:54 PDT 2015

Noel,
Davies team told Larry Roberts about Paul Baran's work, which Larry was unaware of.  At a later time Davies team (Roger Scantlebury) also convinced Larry to build the ARPAnet with a small number of "high speed" (50kbps) lines rather than a large number of "low speed" (9.6 & 19.2 kbps) lines.  I think both of these events had major effects on the specification of ARPAnet and led to its success.

Whether anything about the ARPAnet had much to do with the history of TCP/IP is a different question, but if people think the answer to that question is "yes" then probably both Baran and Davies also belong in the story.
Cheers