[ih] Significant milestones in the history of TCP/IP

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Sep 15 10:06:57 PDT 2015

Howdy.

At a conference yesterday:

   http://youtu.be/_7rcAIbvzVY

I heard a presenter offer a rather creative interpretation of the
history of IPv6, which deviated significantly from my own understanding
of it.

It might be worth trying to document the actual major milestones.

In this case, I'm sure the errors were true errors, unlike the
unfortunate recent shenanigans about the history of email, but I'm
thinking that it would be reasonable to repeat the exercise we did for that:

     emailhistory.org

The idea would be to have community discussion and agreement about the
major milestones.  Which milestones were seminal?  When did they occur?
 Is there documentation for it?  Maybe who the actors were.

I'd originally focused on IPv6, but a facebook thread on this produced a
suggestion to broaden to all of IP (and I think that requires including
TCP.)

If folk are interested, I'll set up tcpiphistory.net for this purpose.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking