[ih] Why was DVMRP put into IGMP?

Steve Deering deering at brunzel.org
Wed Sep 2 20:40:14 PDT 2015

John,

I don't remember why, but if I had to guess, it was probably because I had obtained the assignment of the the IP Protocol number for IGMP from Jon Postel, but didn't think I could justify, to Jon's satisfaction, getting another Protocol number or well-known UDP port number for what was just a grad-student's experimental protocol.  Similarly, extending the RIP specification probably seemed above my pay grade.  So, likely no architectural reason, just a convenience at the time.

Steve