[ih] DEC Ethernet packet capture box

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Mar 18 15:45:21 PDT 2015

On 3/18/2015 3:14 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
> what i know from 1988 is that i wanted an ethernet capture box for DEC
> WRL, and i had to buy a whitebox PC and install FTP Software's LANWatch
> product on it, because there was nothing available in the product
> catalog. so, i'm very interested in any information anyone might turn up
> as to what ethernet capture box DEC may have been selling in 1984.

oh boy.

In 1986 we put TCP/IP on the Ungermann-Bass 'smart' Ethernet card and
during the project I discovered someone had done an ethernet capture
module, which symbolic display of the UB XNS packets.  So I re-coded it
to interpret TCP/IP.  As far as I could tell, it kept of with ethernet
flows adequately.

When I moved to Wollongong in 1987, I had an equivalent product built,
using regular (3Com, or whatever) cards.  It performed adequately too.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking