[ih] ARPANET and Apollo 11

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Mar 12 20:48:56 PDT 2015

well, Noel, the piston engine was a pretty important precursor to the
engines which powered the space landing too. Without it the space landing
would have never happened. I agree Arpanet carries a similar relationship to
the Internet.

But to get to any understanding of what the Internet is as known today, you
need to add to the Arpanet developments such as WWW(which you mention), the
personal computer, broadband, Windows style OS, mobile phones, tablets,
ecommerce engines, social networking, substantial microprocessor
developments, and so many developments and interfaces that anyone looking at
what was happening in 1969 would not see it as the same thing.

Ian Peter