[ih] ARPANET and Apollo 11

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Mar 12 20:10:48 PDT 2015

Are you sure it was WWII or was it really the Civil War?

It was what they learned about logistics and production in the Civil War that provided the expertise for building the transcontinental railroad,  the Panama Canal, etc. And in 1910, Sears-Roebuck built a plant on 40 acres on the outskirts of Chicago (this was when they had no brick and mortar stores) that was filling a 100,000 orders a day and moving 1,000,000 items a day. It was after Sears and before WWII that Taylor was doing all of his motion studies to improve production. Actually Ford came to look at Sears to apply to his factories. Those methods were in place until at least the 1960s when they were computerized but the suspicion is that they are still there, just in the machines.  From what I understood about WWII, it was mainly taking methods already in use in other industries and applying them to shipbuilding and other areas for military material where they had not been applied to before.