[ih] ARPANET and Apollo 11

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Thu Mar 12 11:26:29 PDT 2015

On 3/12/2015 10:19, Guy Almes wrote:
> Noel,
>     The coincidence of 1969 as Apollo 11 and the ARPAnet is indeed
> interesting.
>
>     Your question could be taken (at least) two different ways.
>     First, which was the greater human/cultural accomplishment/achievement?
>     Second, which had the greater historical impact/consequences?
>
>     The second seems easier to me: the ARPAnet/Internet has had huge
> (mostly positive) impact on so many aspects of modern life -- economy,
> culture, technology.  No need to elaborate in this circle.
>
>     The first is tougher.
>     Just yesterday, in conversation with a friend, we noted that
> President Kennedy had, in his 1961 speech at Rice University, challenged
> the country to put a man on the moon (and safely return them) by the end
> of the decade.  Eight and a fraction years later it was done, and in
> spectacular fashion.  If our national leaders were to challenge us to
> attempt to repeat this today, could we do it?  This mixes so many
> notions of national solidarity/will and the cohesiveness of our (US)
> society with the normal technical/economic issues, but it would be quite
> a challenge.
>
>     My hunch is that future folks will consider the ARPAnet and say
> "cool" and "big impact", and they'll look back on Apollo and say "very
> cool".
> 	-- Guy

I think there is an impossible-to-quantify aspect of this importance
comparison thing.  I don't know how to add to the quandary except by
reporting on a conversation that took place sometime during that era.

I was sitting in a dentist's chair, among other things listening to the
dentist drone on about the enormous waste that was the space program,
when there so many worth recipients pan-handling around the train station.

I finally stopped him (the enormity of an argument with a dentist did
not occur to me at the time) and asked him why he was using the small
hand-piece in his hand instead of the belt-driven monster hanging idly
nearby.

He went on about how the modern hand-piece drove the tool faster that
allowed him to work quicker (and there-by reduce pain, he said, and
there-by run more patients through hour, I thought).

I asked him if he knew how the modern hand-piece had been developed.  It
was apparent to me that he did not.

I said that I was pretty sure that the bearings that allowed the little
turbine in the hand-piece to spin so fast had been developed for the
inertial guidance platform gyroscopes.

--
The unique Characteristics of System Administrators:

The fact that they are infallible; and,

The fact that they learn from their mistakes.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes