[ih] Any suggestions for first uses of "e-mail" or "email"?

Patrick Davison patrick.davison at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 09:00:23 PDT 2015

Hi -

I have the archive of the Msg Group messages that were exchanged between
1978 and 1985 on my computer for other research. I just did a quick search
and "email" doesn't appear in the corpus, but "e-mail" appears exactly
once, in a message from J. Pickens from May of 1979 (predating the journal
article by a month):

Subject: Msggroup#1175  The medium is *not* the mechanism

> Perhaps a significant reason why environments have not adopted
> electronic tools is because of a growing awareness of the revolutionary
> impact of such tools.  E-Mail, for example, levitates toward horizontal
> rather than vertical communications.  Such impacts are content
> *independent*.

Not sure if that changes anything significant about the provenance of the
term, but an interesting blip on the radar.

Patrick