[ih] Fw: Free Speech and ARPAnet?

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Sun Jul 19 05:10:46 PDT 2015

It was very clear that when I connected to the ARPA net in 1978, first
of all from the Post Office experimental X.25 network (EPSS) and then
later from work at DEC, that there were particularl restrictions.

Specifically, I always understood there was a strict "no business use on
the net" policy, though I hesitate to say there was a definitive
statement I could point to. This, of course, completely contradicts the
idea of ARPAnet == 'free speech', no matter what revisionist histories
might say today.

I'm more with the viewpoint previously expressed, that the freebooting
nature of the Internet was imported more from Usenet than the ARPAnet.