[ih] Peter Salus / Baran's work

Dave Walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 11:29:31 PST 2015

ARPANET always had adaptive routing, and it was
pretty good for the job for a while.  Later, the
old ARPANET "distance vector" routing was
replaced by the new ARPANET "link state"
routing.  These routing algorithms *did* work
around damage or other changes to the
"environment", i.e., phone lines and packet
switching going up and down, changes to the
network configuration of phone lines and
packet-switch sites, etc.  As things moved beyond
the ARPANET, i.e., the Internet came into being
and expanded, lots more routing work happened, as I remember.

​Hmm, that makes sense.Â