[ih] Peter Salus / Baran's work

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Tue Jan 13 11:24:39 PST 2015

John and Dave Crocker are correct - adaptive routing was one of the
important aspects of the ARPANET implementation.

The resilience theme in Baran's work and in the later Internet was born of
concern for post-nuclear command and control. ARPANET was motivated by
resource sharing as Larry Roberts and Barry Wessler clearly spelled out in
their 1970 paper. Some on this list may remember that we used Packet Radios
and Strategic Air Command aircraft to demonstrate around 1981-2 how a
fragmented ARPANET could be reconstituted using TCP/IP, terrestrial and
airborne packet radio and suitable routing mechanisms.