[ih] Peter Salus / Baran's work

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 17:05:29 PST 2015

On 10/01/2015 12:04, Noel Chiappa wrote:
> I mean, I didn't know of the '64 IEEE publication until Paulina pointed it
> out; I had always assumed the meme was correct.

I pulled out my copy of "Casting the Net" by Peter Salus, 1995 edition.
Page 6:

"The Department [of Defense] wanted a survivable national network.
Studies were commissioned and, in 1962, Paul Baran and his colleagues
at the RAND Corporation produced 13 reports and (for security reasons)
published only 11 of them ("On Distributed Communications 1964)..."

and indeed the reference is to the IEEE Trans CS paper.

So, in 1995 Peter knew that they were published in the early 1960s.

The paper is also cited in "where wizards stay up late" (Hafner & Lyon 1996).

So, the meme is indeed puzzling and far from universal.

(BTW, there is some discussion of the military vs civilian origins of the
ARPANET project in Walter Isaacson's recent book "The Innovators." Not
to mention an interesting discussion of Kleinrock's contribution vs
Baran and Davies.)

   Brian