[ih] the .su domaine I

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Wed Dec 30 01:44:26 PST 2015

I talked to some of the SU people about this about 10 years ago.

.SU is a curious beast in some ways.

One minor reasons is that there are actually parts of the former Soviet
Union that are not part of Russia, but do not have either full
sovereignty, or are under the effective control of the successor state
that nominallh claims sovereignty.

The major reason is that there is a significant lacuna in ccTLD policy
regarding the retirement of ccTLDs.

It was never envisaged in either RFC1591, RFC920 or any of the
predecessor RFCs.

ICANN and IANA, not apparently having formal powers, has nonetheless in
several of the examples given, artificially short imposed deadlines for
removal from the root.

A pragmatist would say a ccTLD needs to remain while there is a need for it.

And ss any librarian, or genealogist will tell you, the name of a
country is four-dimensional  -- even countries that appear to have had a
continuous existence for a long time.

For example, Oscar Wilde was born on on October 16th, 1854 in Dublin,
UK. Any encoding of that must, I would suggest use GB, not IE.

Trieste was neither in Italy nor France until 1954. So anyone we know
who was born there was not born in either country.

There are many examples of this sort of thing.

(The ccNSO has identified that a policy developent process needs to take
place regarding retirment of ccTLDs. It just hasn't happened yet.)