[ih] AUP revision to allow commercial traffic

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue Dec 22 12:38:55 PST 2015

On 22/12/2015 19:28, Jack Haverty wrote:
> Does anybody know more about the *kinds* of interconnections that were
> legal, illegal, feasible, and/or commonly used back in those early days?
>  E.G., was there any distinction between full IP connectivity (pass IP
> datagrams), versus limited protocol connectivity (perhaps FTP/SMTP
> only?). versus single-purpose connectivity (email only)?

You might be interested in what was possibly the most helpful document
for us on JANET back in the days, to send email out to various networks.
We had to go through several hacks to route messages in & out.
ftp://ftp.warwick.ac.uk/pub/papers/mail-gateways.7.txt

Routing arrangements were even more obscure especially when trying to
reach things "outside" the usual TCP/IP space. Depending on who was
paying for what, you'd get bounced around/blacklisted or whatever...
Kindest regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD