[ih] AUP revision to allow commercial traffic

Ofer Inbar cos at aaaaa.org
Tue Dec 22 07:53:34 PST 2015

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 08:19:26AM -0500,
John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:
> Minor routing issues related to purely commercial use of the NSFNET continued to
> come up from time to time until the transition over to 5 commercial backbones
> [UUNET, PSI, BBB, MCI, Sprintlink] architecture (aka “vBNS/RA/NAP”) in 1994.

I specifically remember that during those years (or some portion of
those years) in the early 90s, my friends on world.std.com (connected
via UUNET) and I (at Brandeis University) could not use talk/ytalk for
direct realtime chat, but could use IRC because some IRC servers the
World people could connect to could in turn connect to other IRC
servers which could connect to others leading back to Brandeis' server.

I remember being told by Software Tool & Die (owners of world) that
the inability to connect directly between us and Brandeis was due to
routing restrictions because they were purely commercial.
  -- Cos