[ih] Any suggestions for first uses of "e-mail" or "email"?

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Mon Aug 10 06:01:32 PDT 2015

> Which raises an obvious question:  Did X.75 ever get much traction?  In
> my days at BBN (1985-1992), and for a few years earlier, when I was
> selling time sharing services, and using TELENET, I can't really recall
> ever encountering it in real use.

The CSNET X.25 network had to go through international X.75 gateways
(recall the primary reason for the CSNET X.25 network was to connect
international IP networks to the US).

My memory is that they were a serious pain.  I believe they permitted
only two packets inflight over a connection -- and I think packets were
either 128 or 256 bytes -- so we had to fragment IP datagrams and *slowly*
relay them.

Craig