[ih] Any suggestions for first uses of "e-mail" or "email"?

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Mon Aug 10 05:51:37 PDT 2015

> Ultimately, the concerns about potential change control arguments with ITU
> resulted using CLNP's address format for IPv6, only with a fixed length.
> (Those dealing with virtualization today will curse loudly someday when they
> discover that we actively chose to undo existing, working variable length
> addressing in defining IPv6...)

As someone who may bear some responsibility (I'd have to dig through too
much stuff to be sure)...

Remember that parsing variable length addresses was more expensive and that
in the mid-1990s, computational power in routers was on the borderline of
being insufficient to keep up with network bandwidth. At the time,
projections were that the problem would become much worse before it
became better.  So it seemed irresponsible (at least to those of us
desperately trying to keep routers working) to use variable length addressing.
Those projections about computing power were right, but the period of
difficulty was much shorter than anticipated -- now routers have lots of
computational power and variable length addresses would not be a problem.

Craig