[ih] more on bogus list unsubscribes

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 22:18:57 PDT 2015

*I know that seeking for rational motivation may be a fool's errand.

​Perhaps it's an ironic art project to protest ​the insecurity of the end
product, ironic because of inflicting it on the Old Network Boys as they
discuss the  origins of the flawed network.

Collegiality does NOT scale. We know that_ we don't need to be reminded by
that in microcosm.

But if it be irony, the point is noted.

​But it's hard to infer irony with certainty when it could easily be a bad
interaction between Mailman and some MTA's bounce message begging to unsub
the recipient being mis-interpreted as unsub the sender of the bounced
message; or some skiddie being a random nuisance because skiddie kan haz
skriptz. :-/  It could well be a more evolved mistreant is using the unsub
API on *multiple* mailman nodes to automatically vet email addresses
scraped elsewhere for currency, and cares not which lists.

​Re "private list", this list seems to have avoided having any unauthorized
3rd party archives. Several well-known list-aggregators are archiving a
'private' list i'm currently managing. [ ​Since they had years of archive
before i even joined the list let alone took on management, i haven't
unplugged them. Not much point in leaving the list private now but ... ]

Normally i wouldn't discuss forensics on-list, but if it's Art, the Artiste
may appreciate the hat-tip. And if it's not targeted but all Mailman,
they're not listening anyway.

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com