[ih] Any suggestions for first uses of "e-mail" or "email"?

Leo Vegoda leo at vegoda.org
Sat Aug 8 08:08:11 PDT 2015

On 8 August 2015 at 03:05, Vint Cerf <vint at google.com> wrote:

[...]

> The TCP/IP vs OSI battle lasted from 1978 to 1993. X.25 was around from 1976
> to 2003 or so as I recall. I shut down the last MCI X.25 offering about 2003
> or so if memory serves.

In 2007 I researched the status of each of the addresses in 14/8,
which at that time was reserved for the gateways between x.25 and
IPv4, as a part of reclaiming that /8. A large number of the addresses
were still in use for a government network in Sweden (a labor
exchange, I believe) and they were returned after the gateways were
renumbered. Deutsche Telekom and BT were also still selling X.25
circuits at that time.

Looking at BT's current published pricing, I think they still sell
X.25 circuits:

https://www.bt.com/pricing/current/BT_IP_Networking_boo/0177_d0e8876.htm#0177-d0e8876

I suppose people still use X.25 and the telcos at least cover their costs.

REgards,

Leo