[ih] Any suggestions for first uses of "e-mail" or "email"?

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Sat Aug 8 05:18:41 PDT 2015

On Aug 8, 2015, at 6:46 AM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

>> Eventually an OSI connectionless mode was developed CLNP but never
>> gained much popularity.
>
> today, most of the big backbones use is-is, which is over clnp

Indeed - we could have easily ended up with TCP/UDP over CLNP (TUBA)
as IPng, as it worked just fine...

Ultimately, the concerns about potential change control arguments with ITU
resulted using CLNP's address format for IPv6, only with a fixed length.
(Those dealing with virtualization today will curse loudly someday when they
discover that we actively chose to undo existing, working variable length
addressing in defining IPv6...)

/John