[ih] Any suggestions for first uses of "e-mail" or "email"?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Aug 4 13:16:12 PDT 2015

Andy,

I should have been more careful with my wording to avoid generalizing.
Perhaps "Some historians..." would have been better.

I wouldn't have expected History to raise blood pressure, but sometimes
I experience that myself.  This often happens when I read some document
purporting to describe a historical situation, and it happens to be one
where I was there at the time.   Some of the books and papers about
network history I've read raised my BP when their description of events
and causality didn't match my personal memory much at all, or left out
important related activities occurring at the same time.

Sadly, I think we who were involved back then have to share much of the
blame.  Computers, word processing, file systems, FTP sites, and other
such stuff were the new toys.  They were our own toys.  We built them.
We liked to play with them.  We preferred to use them rather than
traditional methods.

So we wrote lots of code.  We wrote lots of documentation, and embedded
it in the code.  We put useful files in readily accessible places, on
our own FTP servers or the ones at the NIC.  We had extensive
discussions and debates on all sorts of technical and other issues,
using our brand new mail systems.

We didn't write a lot of papers or more formal documents.  Anything on
paper was suspected to be obsolete anyway.   We did write RFCs, IENs,
and other such semi-formal documents, which have fortunately been well
preserved by Jake Feinler and others.   But even those are sometimes
misinterpreted as capturing a moment in time, when they often actually
captured a moment in the past.   I remember finally writing up an RFC
defining the XNET protocol, but only after it had been in use for years.

We used the ephemeral mechanisms of the network to document our work,
and I suspect most of it has been lost or become unreadable.   We tried
to create mechanisms for longevity, e.g., the DataComputer at CCA, but
the technology wasn't up to the task.

We made life for today's historians much more difficult than it might
have been.

I've often wondered if that's one major reason why the Internet survived
when all of the other similar efforts didn't.   Rough consensus
(achieved electronically) and running code instead of formal documents,
committees, voting, et al.

Keep up the good work!
/Jack