[ih] Impact of history on today's technology [was: why did CC happen at all?]

Leo Vegoda leo at vegoda.org
Fri Sep 5 13:25:06 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 08:23:57AM -0400, Craig Partridge wrote:

[...]

> (Side note: the one counter argument I can think to use to say namespace
> creation was technical is that the decision to support country codes meant
> we had to have a namespace with greater than two labels.  In the earliest
> DNS thinking, there was a notion that we'd have two level names such
> as VENERA.ISI -- I believe it was clear pretty fast that two levels
> was probably too limiting -- but once you add ccTLDs, you clearly need
> at least three levels and there's an rule of thumb that one
> counts 1, 2, many...).

Can you please expand on this? Are you referring to system name
labels or including usernames as well? How is a ccTLD different from
a non-ccTLD in this respect? If I might be user at example.com, I could
presumably be user at example.cctld if the ccTLD allows registration
in the second level, rather than creating additional structure. Some
ccTLDs did create extra structure, such as uk, jp, and nz. Others,
like cn, de, nl allowed registration at the second level.

Thanks,

Leo