[ih] Impact of history on today's technology [was: why did CC happen at all?]

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri Sep 5 06:48:28 PDT 2014

On 9/5/2014 5:41 AM, Scott Brim wrote:
> I believe I understand exactly what you mean. Grand vision is limited by
> what's possible at the time, and future grand vision is limited by what
> is in place. Consider MIBs (and SGMP/SNMP), and what it's been like
> trying to get rid of them.

I remember hearing Kleinrock once comment on the cycle of relative
costs, between memory (and maybe cpu) vs. communications.  Expensive
comms lines bias design one way.  Expensive computering bias in another.
 Having both be expensive at the same time probably has yet another effect.

We've similarly had cycles for centralized vs. widely distributed
(computing arrangements.  PCs made distribution feasible at scale.
Beyond the technical point of rapidly-varying scale that the term 'cloud
computing' originally meant, it's come to be nothing more than classic
remote computing.

d/

--
Dave Crocker