[ih] Impact of history on today's technology [was: why did CC happen at all?]

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Sep 5 03:46:25 PDT 2014

Michael,
I think I was wrong and you were right.  After I went downstairs last
night, it slowly came back to me ;-) that Pogran and I had discussed
this before and my story of the translate tables was wrong.

Pogran and I had come across another situation where the mapping
between the conventions was not the isomorphic.  We were doing a File
Access Protocol (1973) and used a byte-indexed file pointer and
realized it wouldn't be as simple as we thought, because the
ASCII/ARPANET convention for "end of record" was CRLF and the Multics
convention was NL (New Line), which I thought was EBCDIC not ASCII.

John